A Syrian woman the exact same age as me asked me to write about how refugees experience life in Germany. I have seen a lot and experienced a few things, however, the story of refugees in Germany is not my story to tell.
My conversation with the woman has brought up several questions:
- When does life demand we stop and listen to the voices challenging the narratives we hold as truths?
- Who is able to decide when to be politically-responsive?
- What is the role of the politically engaged artist?
- How can the arts support and uplift those who experience injustice?
- Where do we go as a global society if we are not able to listen to and empathize with the most oppressed?
- Why is art such an ineffective form for political action?